not WDS

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Thu Jun 12 22:19:24 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 11:37:25AM -0700, David Gurevich wrote:

> Does this mean that it is not possible to configure the
> wlan0wds0 interface differently from the main wlan0 interface?

Yes.

> I would like to set it with its own ESSID.

WDS interface is used for data frames. It does not generate any new
beacons nor probe responses or association frames. In other words, it
does not use SSID for anything and there is not much point in
configuring it. Some other configuration options might make more sense,
but no, they are not supported in current Host AP code.

> I also do not want
> to send 4 address frames over it. What I'm trying to do is
> run HostAP in Managed mode as a station connecting to some
> standard AP while also talking to other HostAP nodes via the
> WDS interfaces. I do not want to bridge (therefore no 4
> address frames). I'll just route across the interfaces. I would
> think that this would be a neat feature that enables one to
> extend the range of a standard AP infrastructure.

I do not think this is feasible with current firmware code. If all the
APs are on the same channel, you might be able to set this up using
4-address WDS links. Why do you not want to use four address frames?
I don't see much problem in addional six octets in each packet..