Wireless card working.But cannot access the net

Rk g ravi_unm at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 00:41:11 EDT 2003

Hi everybody,
            I have a compaq presario 2100 Laptop.
My wireless card as given by the /proc/pci is

Bus  0, device   9, function  0:
    Network controller: Harris Semiconductor Prism 2.5
Wavelan chipset (rev 1).
      IRQ 9.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe4401000
[0xe4401fff].

So, i have compiled and insmod'ed hostap and
hostap_pci.
This is what my lsmod has to say:
hostap_crypt_wep        3404   1  (autoclean)
sg                     28012   0  (autoclean) (unused)
sr_mod                 15800   0  (autoclean) (unused)
sd_mod                 11020   0  (autoclean) (unused)
scsi_mod               57684   3  (autoclean) [sg
sr_mod sd_mod]
hostap_pci             44052   0  (unused)
hostap                 70244   0  [hostap_pci]
hostap_crypt            1392   0  [hostap_crypt_wep
hostap]
natsemi                17024   1

and then i have done
 iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed ap any essid any

The gnome applet instantly recognizes the network and
says the signal strength is between 85-90%

this is what iwconfig has to say,
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

Warning: Driver for device wlan0 has been compiled
with version 15
of Wireless Extension, while this program is using
version 14.
Some things may be broken...

wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"fec-3-south"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437GHz  Access
Point: 00:0B:FD:E3:5F:D2
          Bit Rate:2Mb/s   Tx-Power:9 dBm
Sensitivity=1/3
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment
thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:52/92  Signal level:-68 dBm
Noise level:-100 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx
invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:229
Missed beacon:0

But the problem is , I cant ping to any other system
on my network or access the internet.Seems like it did
not associate itself with the upperlayers of network.

My box runs gentoo.

What can i do now?
--Ravi