Getting wireless stats from the kernel through SNMP

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sun Jun 8 20:53:08 EDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 08:46:35PM +0530, sriram_subramanian  wrote:

> I'm working on getting the wireless statistics from the hostAP kernel modules using SNMP. I could not find a prism2 MIB, so presently I'm using the IEEE802dot11 MIB to get the stats through SNMP. Eventually I plan to write a prism2 MIB also.
> I'd like to know if anyone has worked in this direction before. I have generated a code framework for the SNMP agent by using the tool "mib2c". I need help - if someone can tell me how this agent can talk to the hostap kernel module and get the hostAp wireless stats ?

Do you have a list of counters and configuration items that you would
need for this? Host AP exports some values through procfs
(/proc/net/hostap/wlan#), some through Linux wireless extensions
ioctls, and private ioctls (mainly, hostapd and prism2_param ioctls).

Prism2 hw/firmware statistics (tallies) are available from
/proc/net/hostap/wlan#/stats. They are updated whenever wlan card sends
an update. In addition, you might want to run 'iwpriv wlan0 inquire
61696' to force update on the stats before reading them.