[Fwd: delay in adhoc mode]

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Fri Jul 18 16:52:10 EDT 2003

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Jay Zhang wrote:

> We found that the association is fast (about 10ms), but a lot of time is
> wasted on scanning(Probe Request and Response). Even we spicify the
> channel and ssid with iwconfig. Is there any method to reduce the delay
> of probe in adhoc mode? And we also noticed that there is a passive mode
> of scanning in the 802.11 standard, but we don't know how to set it with
> HostAP.

Maybe you should avoid 802.11 authentication and association completely.
One station could just monitor all packets and the other would send a
special packet with the required information in it.  That packet would be
selected and decrypted.

N-way handshakes are bound to be slow because 802.11 is based on collision
avoidance.  If you read the standard, you'll see that the stations have to
wait a lot to avoid jamming other stations.

Ideally, include extra data for forward error correction to reduce the
risk that the frame will need to be retransmitted.

Passive scanning is not going to help you - it's slow because the scanning
station doesn't request the response, but waits for beacons passively.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin