hostapd and WLAN_STA_PERM

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Jul 16 12:00:30 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 05:42:36PM +0200, Lubomir Gelo wrote:

> 1) New ioctl PRISM2_HOSTAPD_GET_FLAGS and checking for WLAN_STA_PERM in
>    ap_handle_timer (sta_info.c). That's what we're using at the moment.
>    Will send the patch if desired.

I don't think I would prefer this direction.. hostapd should have more
"authorative" information about stations than kernel driver and in most
cases I would like hostapd to configure the driver and if something
needs per station configuration, it should be in hostapd's
configuration.

> 2) Format of accept_mac_file could be modified to hold static keys and
>    hostapd will set keys upon authentication. Modification should (and
>    will) be backward compatible. Eventually special file could be used.

I would move this to a separate files from the beginning.. This
modification should also take into account default(broadcast) WEP key
configuration and IEEE 802.1X. In other words, it should be possible for
the user of hostapd to configure static default keys and have hostapd
send them out for IEEE 802.1X-enabled stations to allow co-existance of
IEEE 802.1X stations and stations that do not support IEEE 802.1X, but
can use static WEP keys.

> 3) Such functionality isn't desired and we will continue to patch our
>    version.

There is certainly use for this kind of functionality, but I would like
to do it in a way which makes it easy to update IEEE 802.1X code, too.