pcmcia_cs vs orinoco_cs

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Thu Jul 10 17:10:48 EDT 2003

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Dan Hackney wrote:

> I'm a bit confused regarding the PCMCIA_PATH directive for setting up
> the hostap driver.  My machine does not appear to use the pcmcia_cs
> module, but the orinoco_cs one instead.  Here is an lsmod and a modprobe
> pcmcia_cs for you:

There are no references to "pcmcia_cs" in the HostAP source.  "pcmcia-cs"
is always called "package", not "module" in Makefile.  I don't know how to
rephrase that comment to make it more clear.  It seems to me that you are
making assumptions based on something else, not on that comment, so fixing
it won't help you.  Try reading that text again.

> orinoco_cs              4520   0  (unused)

orinoco_cs is bound to your card in /etc/pcmcia/config.  Once you run
"make install" in HostAP and restarts PCMCIA (or simply reboot), hostap_cs
should be used instead.

> yenta_socket            9504   1

This means that you have kernel PCMCIA and don't need to compile against
pcmcia-cs package.  There is no "yenta_socket" module in pcmcia-cs.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin