problems caused by ESSID not being set

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Thu Jul 10 14:55:08 EDT 2003

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Santiago Garcia Mantinan wrote:

>           Bit Rate:2Mb/s   Tx-Power:7 dBm   Sensitivity=1/242700000

I'm not sure about your problem, but this value for sensitivity makes me
think that you are using some old version of Wireless Tools.  Take version
26 and recompile it against the kernel you are using.

> ace:~# iwconfig wlan0 mode master
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
>     SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

It seems to me that you are using a clone (Lucent of Symbol), not a real
Prism chipset.  Clones don't support master mode.  "cardctl ident"
should show the data necessary to identify your card.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin