help needed setting up a router / access point

Scott Weisman sweisman at pobox.com
Mon Jul 7 16:10:11 EDT 2003

Hello,

I've been lurking on this list for a while now, and reading up on how to use
HostAP, and I finally got all the equipment to do what I need.

What I want to do is this:

* Mandrake 9.1 IBM Thinkpad i1400 series

* Alcatel Speed Touch USB ADSL modem

* Proxim RangeLAN card in HostAP mode

* Routing (NOT bridging) between USB modem (device ppp0) and HostAP

I got the notebook working properly after a couple of false starts. I then got
the USB modem working. After that, I compiled and installed latest CVS
snapshot (I guess that would be for 7/7/03) of HostAP, and that went without a
hitch. This is where the trouble comes in.

1. I read that I should use <make pccard EXTRA_FLAGS = "-DPRISM2_HOSTAPD">
when compiling. Is this correct? What do I need hostapd for?

2. Every document or HOWTO I've found seems to focus on bridging. I want to
route. I might be adding an ethernet interface at a later date, and so routing
from the start is preferable.

3. I've found no information on any config files to permanently set things
like ESSID, CHANNEL, etc. All HOWTO's just give iwconfig commands to issue to
get up and running, but no permanent solution.

4. iwconfig returns entries for wlan0 and wlan0ap. Is this correct?

5. Once I get all this working, I want to setup PPTP layered over wlan0. Is
this possible? How difficult will it be?

Can someone help with these problems?

Thanks in advance,

Scott