what's mean ssid hide

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Thu Jul 3 20:07:08 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 05:09:50PM +0900, imp wrote:

> As hostap iwpriv list said, hostap can hide ssid with later 1.6.3 firmware version.
> and "ANY" scan protected ...
>
> Could you please let me know, how can I under stand it's mean, and how do I test it ?

1) hide SSID in beacon frames
 - SSID element in beacon frames will be changed to report empty (len=0)
   SSID

2) ignore clients configured with "ANY" (broadcast) SSID
 - STA f/w is asked to only reply Probe Requests that contain the SSID
   that the AP is using; especially, this means that AP does not reply
   to Probe Requests for broadcast SSID (len=0)

Testing: sniff beacon and probe messages; verify that SSID element is
removed (1) and AP is not replying to ProbeReq with broadcast SSID. In
addition, if a STA is not configured with the correct SSID, it should
not be able to associate with the AP.