"original" WDT11/WPC11 combo for an AP?

linuxchuck linuxchuck at phoenixbox.org
Thu Jan 30 17:46:44 EST 2003

Back in the day, Jason Boxman said:

>  There are a few things you can do.  First, I'd simplify the equation.  Forget
>  about getting 802.1d ethernet bridging working, for the moment.  I would
>  setup the WPC11 in the WDT11 in HostAP mode with a static address and setup
>  the other station in managed mode with a static address in the same subnet.
>
>  Then, see if you can ping yourself.  If that works, see if you can ping the
>  AP.  If so, there's a bridging issue floating around.  If not, then something
>  else is going on.  You said you were getting a good association and signal,
>  so I'd imagine the AP is sending out beacon frames properly.

snip-snip

>  First, I'd see if it works without bridging.  If not, you could investigate
>  your syslog (if you haven't already) for hints.  You might also try doing an
>  voliatile firmware update.  You will have to reflash when the power cycles,
>  but if it gets you up, it's worth it.

snip-snip

>  I don't think you mentioned what driver you're using on the client station.
>  HostAP in managed mode I assume?  What's the diagnostic output for that
>  system?

Good news.  I have it fully functional now.  It would seem the problem I had was
transient.  I removed the bridging as you suggested, and placed the system in
ad-hoc mode.  The laptop, (running win2k pro, by the way) refused to associate
at all then.  Then I found out that the drivers in 2k give 2 different modes of ad-
hoc.  One is written just plain ad-hoc, the other option is 802.11b ad-hoc.  I set
it to 802.11b ad-hoc, and it associated.  I could also ping between them as well.
Then, I placed my system in Master mode, and the laptop in infrastructure mode
and again, had fully functional network connectivity between them.  I finally set
my bridging back up as I had it before, and everything worked.	I must have had
some small mistake in my previous setup that righted itself the second time around.
Typical, huh?  Either way, Thank you for your assistance.  Now for another question:

Are there any worthwhile benefits to flashing my WPC-11 firmware up to 1.4.9?  As
far as I can tell, it seems to be passing data without issues at my current version. I
have not put any real load on it yet, as I only have one laptop at the moment that I
can use for testing with it.  I have found reference to windows based flash methods
that will *supposedly* work with any prism2 based card.  The specific reference is:

http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2002-October/000050.html

Is it worth even considering?  Again, my firmware versions are:

Host AP driver diagnostics information for 'wlan0'

NICID: id=0x8002 v1.0.0 (HWB3163-01,02,03,04 Rev A)
PRIID: id=0x0015 v0.3.0
STAID: id=0x001f v0.8.0 (station firmware)