iwlist txpower -> no answer !?

Alexis alexisb at netcourrier.com
Sun Jan 19 12:11:59 EST 2003

	Hi all !

	I just subscribed two days ago, but I tried to dig a bit through
the archive and I could not find anything related...

Here is my problem :

wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"test"
          Mode:Master  Frequency:2.422GHz  Access Point: 00:02:6F:05:E8:9F
          Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power:-5 dBm   Sensitivity=1/3
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

root at alexis:~# iwlist wlan0 txpower
wlan0     No transmit-powers ? Please update driver...

	^^^^^^ what does this mean ?

	wlan0 is a Senao SL-2511 CD PLUS (200mW) pcmcia card
	wlan0: NIC: id=0x800c v1.0.0
	wlan0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.0.7
	wlan0: STA: id=0x1f v1.3.6

	HostAP driver is latest CVS
	wireless-tools is v25

	I have another question : I read on a list that for iwconfig
20dBm was the max tx power regardless of the real card capability.
But when connected, doing :

	iwconfig wlan0 txpower 20dBm will set the power output to 14dBm
	iwconfig wlan0 txpower 200mW will set the power output to 24dBm

	do you know why there is such a difference ?

Thanks in advance, and many thanks for that wonderful driver,

						-- Alexis