constant disconnection/reconnection between Netgear MA401 AP and SMC2632W V.2 client

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Jan 15 21:02:55 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 05:19:01PM -0500, Mike Bohan wrote:

> every minute or so the SMC client laptop (running Windows XP) displays a
> network disconnection of the wireless NIC, and then reconnects. These
> disconnect/reconnect intervals seem to be equal, though I have not
> proved this assumption. The simple and most obvious answer is that the

Can that "every minute or so" be exactly 5 minutes? If yes, this could
be related to inactivity timeout in the Host AP driver. Is there any
additional log information about this event (apart from the new auth &
reassoc sent by the STA), like "sending deauth/disassoc info to STA"?
I'm assuming the prev_ap value in reassoc messages is the same as the
AP's own MAC address(?)

Other option would be some timer in WinXP expiring and causing link down
event and eventual new auth/assoc. I have seen this mainly with IEEE
802.1X enabled, but not without it.