hostapd forking and enhancements

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Thu Jan 9 23:29:15 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 09:08:57AM -0000, Ian Cass wrote:

> Would also be cool if there was a way to tag packets from each user
> differently as they fly past so we can maintain the concept of sessions all
> the way to the firewall. This then allows tradition logon processes, such as
> a web page to stand a chance of working even halfway securely. Vlan tagging
> perhaps? or TOS at a stretch.

There is already a "tag" in each packet: station MAC address. If you
want to have a unique tag for each user, I would assume this is the
easiest one since it does not require any new features.. Station MAC
address will be the source address of the Ethernet headers in data
frames passed to Linux net stack.