OT: Bad Performance with Senao NL-2511CD ?

Martin Polak mpolak at gup.jku.at
Wed Jan 8 02:41:07 EST 2003

alexd wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 17:28, Martin Polak wrote:
>

>>the new card is now attached to the same antenna as the old card before.
>>And instead of getting better performance from the 23dbm card, I get
>>less SNR and weaker connections than from the old 15dbm card. I even
>>tried to pull-up txpower, using iwconfig but nothing would help.
>>The card inits fine, using STA 1.4.9 and even loads 1.5.6 perfectly.
>

> Do you *know* for a fact that the Senao card has more output power?
> Don't just rely on the manufacturers data. Have you tested both cards
> with equipment in a lab? [I'm guessing not]. Perhaps you should do a
> little research into the Senao card and see what other WLAN enthusiasts
> are saying about it.

Right, lacking this lab equipment, i couldn't do this tests.But my sense
of logic tells me, that I card stated to have more than 6 times the
output power and according to a chart found in the web (dont remeber the
link)a better rf sensitivity, it should at least perform equal to the
old one, shouldn't it.

> Try swapping the card
> with a different example of the same model.
I think i always did this.

> Well it's probably not you ;-) Have you checked the electrical polarity
> of the RF connector? Maybe it is idiosyncratic?
>

> Every coupling causes losses. And remember, if you change more than one
> variable at once, It Ain't Scientific ;-)

Yes I know, but remeber the thing about 'lacking the right equipment' :-) ?

Thanks for your thoughts anyway!

Martin