hostapd forking and enhancements

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Tue Jan 7 22:02:34 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 02:03:09AM -0500, Sergio Ammirata wrote:

> I think the forking is rather critical since it prevents people from
> deploying the software in a production environment. Specially if the are
> using it in a custom distro with limited tools.

I added it yesterday (-B argument for hostapd).

> I like the idea of RADIUS. Perhaps we can use PAP authentication and
> send the station MAC in both the username and password attributes.

I would like to an encoding that is used by other 802.11 APs (I would
assume that there exists one supporting this), but yes, it could be
something like that.

> I have attached a tcpdump capture of a PAP radius communication between
> a pppd daemon and a Microsoft IAS Radius Server. It includes connect and
> disconnect (use tcpdump -r filename to read).

The snaplength (-s option for tcpdump) seemed to be too short and the
packets were truncated so that the interesting part of the attributes
was not included.