Function of hostapd?

Reyk Floeter reyk at vantronix.net
Tue Jan 7 04:30:17 EST 2003

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 10:02:01PM -0800, Jouni Malinen wrote:

hi!

> Nowadays, hostapd includes quite a bit more than only 802.11
> authentication and association. It supports IEEE 802.1x authentication
> and authorization, RADIUS accounting, parts of IAPP, etc. In addition,
> most of the new higher level functionality will be added only to the
> user space daemon and using hostapd (i.e., define PRISM2_HOSTAPD for the
> driver) will eventually become the default option and I might even
> remove the option to cleanup the driver code (i.e., remove all the
> authentication and association related functionality from the kernel
> driver).

i'm currently writing a linux- driver for the atheros ar5000 802.11a
chipset. the latest driver only supports rx in rfmon mode, but tx and
all the other stuff is work in progress
(http://team.vantronix.net/ar5k/).

the ar5k chipset handles most of it's 802.11- related stuff host-
based and it's possible to implement an accesspoint with 802.1x
support, host- based crypto (by disabling the on-card WEP engine) and
so on... before re- inventing the wheel and implementing all the stuff
it would be a fine solution to use use the existing hostapd (with some
driver- independent interfaces) with this driver.

how do you think about it?

reyk

--
/* .vantronix|secure systems - (research & development)
 * reyk floeter - friendly known free software engineer