What can be done with this WDS stuff...

Craig Foster craig at wiw.org
Tue Feb 25 12:46:24 EST 2003

Yes (to most of your questions).

WDS is used to connect AP's wirelessly so that wireless clients associated
with AP-A and connect to wireless clients associated with AP-B without a wire
connecting AP-A with AP-B.  So it does act as a repeater.  The example in
Prism2.README should answer your questions about interfaces.  Using WDS
creates special wlan#wds# interfaces for each WDS link.

(And bridging 2 wired nets together does not need WDS.  Bridging with two Ad-
hoc cards or a Managed and a Master should do the trick.)
--
Craig Foster
craig at wiw.org

Jerry <mrcool at stupidgamerz.com> said:

> I dont imagine im understanding the WDS correctly... what can you do with
it besides bridging 2 wired nets together over wireless...??

> Can it be used as a wireless repeater?  example: AP-A broadcasting to
clients, can AP-B associate (wds?)  with AP-A and repeat the signal that AP-A
is broadcasting? as a remote repeater?

> anyone?  if this was the case, then wlan0 would be the only interface
necessary on AP-B ? correct?  ... or am i dreaming??