Bridging wlan0/wlan1

Dave dave at cc0.net
Mon Feb 24 12:31:10 EST 2003

I haven't tried your suggestion yet....but I see what you are getting at.
Using WDS wouldn't solve what I am trying to accomplish I don't believe,
because the radio on wlan0 will be performing two duties...receive from STA
and transmit down WDS which appears to be cutting the bandwidth in half. I
was trying to bridge the two radios so that when wlan0 is doing receive from
STA it is passing the packets to wlan1 for transmit to the other remote AP.

I noted Jacques reply and sort of understand that I cannot bridge across the
radios like I was thinking.

I am wondering ( and I will give it a try ), since you can bridge wlan0 to
an eth0 and that works, could I bridge wlan0 to eth0 in br0, then bridge
wlan1 to eth1 in br1, then bridge br0 and br1 together...or instead of using
eth0 and eth1 use a dummy interface maybe?

Anyway...when I have used WDS links in the past, I see the maximum bandwidth
at about 300Kbps however when using wlan0 bridged to an ethernet interface I
can see around 600Kbps or so. Is this normal operation?

Thanks!

-Dave

> Remove ur configns and do these:
> (I assume ur wireless interface is -- wlan0)
>
> # iwpriv wlan0 wds_add <MAC Addrs of the OTHER AP in DS>
> # brctl addbr BRDG
> # brctl addif BRDG wlan0
> # brctl addif BRDG wlan0wds0
> # ifconfig wlan0     0.0.0.0 up
> # ifconfig wlan0wds0     0.0.0.0 up
> # ifconfig BRDG <ip-address>  up
>
> let me know the results.
> -Peyush.
>
> Dave wrote:
>
> > That doesn't seem to work either...maybe I am doing something wrong..
> >
> > # ifconfig wlan1 192.168.10.39 up
> >
> > # ping 192.168.10.10 (gateway)
> > PING 192.168.10.10 (192.168.10.10) 56(84) bytes of data.
> > 64 bytes from 192.168.10.10: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=8.12 ms
> > 64 bytes from 192.168.10.10: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=4.33 ms
> >
> > #ifconfig wlan0 0.0.0.0 up
> > #ifconfig wlan1 0.0.0.0 up
> > #brctl addbr br0
> > #brctl addif br0 wlan0
> > #brctl addif br0 wlan1
> > #ifconfig br0 192.168.10.39 up
> >
> > ping 192.168.10.10 (gateway) from box associated with wlan0 and get
> > timeout....
> >
> > -Dave
> >
> > > linux bridging code does the brdg. between master & managed mode.
> > > provide an ip addr (NOT 0.0.0.0) to the bridge u've created and make
it
> > 'up'.

> > bridge a

so