Bridging wlan0/wlan1

Dave dave at cc0.net
Mon Feb 24 05:26:06 EST 2003

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm my findings that the Linux bridging code cannot bridge a
wlan0 (Master mode) with a wlan1 (Managed mode) ?

I guess I had assumed that it would work and apparently it does not.

My hopes was to take the load off of the distribution radio (wlan0) so it is
not sending data down a WDS link, but rather bridging it to a second radio
(wlan1) running in managed mode to a remote hostap box.

I brought up wlan0 in master mode, channel 1, essid test and brought up
wlan1 in managed mode, channel 11, essid test2. Prior to placing both in a
bridge I attached an IP address to wlan1 and made sure I was associated with
the remote hostap box and could move traffic to/from. I then set wlan0 and
wlan1 to 0.0.0.0 up and created a bridge (br0) and added wlan0/wlan1 and did
a ifconfig br0 0.0.0.0 up to get it rolling.

An STA associated with wlan0 but cannot move data through the box to hit the
remote hostap box.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

-Dave