How to find STA from AP ?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Mon Feb 24 00:17:07 EST 2003

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 11:00:32AM +0900, ?vBXXZcX0-? wrote:

> If I know STA's MAC Address, how can I detect the STA can be accessible from my AP in hostapd code ?

> In most case, STA always scan around AP and try to associate to it..
>
> but, I want to know, before STA try to auth or assoc to AP, how hostapd can detect given STA is in my area using STA's MAC ?

If the station is doing active scanning, you could see it before
authentication, _if_ you would have access to Probe Requests. Alas,
Intersil STA firmware for Prism2 does not pass those frames to host
system in Host AP mode.

> P.S I almost finish "STA count base load balancing" for hostapd and I want share it for all, How can I submit it for CVS ?

Please make a unified diff of the changed and send it to me (and cc: to
mailing list). If you are using anonymous CVS access, you can do this
with 'cvs diff -uNp' (if not, use 'diff -uNpr hostap.orig hostap').

Please note that I'm trying to release the next version of the Host AP
code at some point, so I try not to add new features to CVS tree at the
moment. I will queue any contributed code and go through it after
getting the next release out.