WDS setup questions

Craig Foster craig at wiw.org
Thu Feb 20 01:17:48 EST 2003

Okay, I extracted a volatile 1.5.6 firmware from the Intersil drivers and got
it loaded into RAM so that I can hopefully get standards-compliant WDS
going.  But I can't seem to get my linux hostap machine to talk to my Netgear
AP or anything associated with it when its in Master mode.  If I unplug the
Netgear AP, everything reassociates with the linux box, so the linux AP
itself seems to be setup right.  Now if I can just get WDS working....  I've
read README.prism2 and followed the example for WDS there, but still no
luck.  My topology is a little different from the example though, so I could
very well be doing something wrong.  So...

1) Do the low-end AP's (like my Netgear MR314 router/AP) even support WDS?
If so, do I likely need to do anything to enable it, or will it just pick up
the WDS link from the linux box and go with it.  Right now, when I scan
access points from one of the machines on the wireless LAN, I see that the
Netgear AP (on channel 11) adds the channel of the linux AP (3) whenever it
is up (so that the AP listing shows channels 11 & 3 for the Netgear AP and
channel 3 for the linux AP), but I still can't communicate between machines
associated with the Netgear and the linux host setup as an AP, nor can I ping
the Netgear from the linux box.

2) All I need the linux box to do is extend the range of the wireless network
(and also act as a server on the wireless net).  It has no ethernet
connections.  Can someone give me a hand with the
iwpriv/ifconfig/brctl/prism2_param command sequence that will get the linux
box up as an AP with WDS and an IP address on the wireless net for the linux
box itself.

3) What about channels: Should the Netgear AP and linux AP be on the same or
different channels?

4) I'm a little confused aboutt he different interfaces that seem to be
involved in all of this (i.e. wlan0, wlan0wds0, br0).  Which interface is
used for traffic for the linux host itself?  Should both wlan0 and wlan0wds0
be in Master mode?  On the same channel?  Which should be in promiscuous
mode?  Which should be part of the brindge?

Thanks in advance!

--
Craig Foster
craig at wiw.org