Compilation error on Redhat 8.0 !

Harry Moyes harry at shoka.net
Tue Feb 4 18:55:32 EST 2003

On Monday 03 Feb 2003 12:43 pm, Manjunathan PY wrote:
> Hi ,
>    Can anyone let me know why the compilation of  hostap drivers gives the
> below shown errors.
>
>   Details of OS  : Redhat 8.0 with kernel 2.4.18-14
>

>   [root at mypclin hostap] make pccard

My favored invocation follows for stock RH 8.0 and the last full release of
hostap is as follows.

1) Rebuild a full kernel header file by running  make oldconfig.

Build and install this kernel, which will be 2.4.18-14custom
using the standard build sequence that RH document.

This fixes module versioning on your custom kernel to reference
2.4.18-14custom in the exported symbols.

Boot to your custom kernel

this will have your new modversion active, (  and will test your new kernel
;-)  )

2) Untar hostap.  edit the makefile header to KERNAL_PATH=/usr/src/linux-2.4

make crypt

make hostap

make plx  (for my Pheenet card)

as root

make install_plx

Your new modules will also have modversions munged symbols that refer to
2.1.18-14custom.

3) Load the modules that make up hostap

/sbin/insmod   /lib/modules/2.4.18-14custom/net/hostap_crypt.o

/sbin/insmod   /lib/modules/2.4.18-14custom/net/hostap.o

/sbin/insmod   /lib/modules/2.4.18-14custom/net/hostap_plx.o

4) Test

/sbin/iwconfig should show wlan0:  as active

ie don't cut against the grain, RedHat want you to leave their delivered
kernel alone, and build your own custom version to play with, and go
out of their way to help if you play nicely.

Cheers Harry