Channel problem with hostap

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Fri Dec 19 11:03:56 EST 2003

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 04:50:40PM +0000, David Goodenough wrote:

> I have a machine with hostap, using Senao cards.  There are two cards in the
> machine, and when I use iwlist wlan1 scan it finds (just) the partner (ad-hoc
> mode) station and lists its channel (10).  I then try to set the card (using
> iwconfig) to channel 10, and it keeps resetting to channel 1.

Could you please describe your configuration with bit more detail? You
have two cards in the same host and one (or both?) of them is in ad-hoc
mode. Do you use the same SSID on them? Please note that ad-hoc mode is
trying to join an existing IBSS, so if there is an existing IBSS on
channel 1 with the same SSID, the card is likely to join that IBSS
instead of creating a new IBSS on the channel you selected.