Difference between Prism 2 HostAP and Prism54's FirmwareAP ?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Tue Dec 2 23:32:12 EST 2003

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 10:37:21AM +0100, Obermeier Markus ICM MP PD TS wrote:

> do plan to support PrismGT in future. I would like to use all the features
> of your 802.1X with PrismGT. If you do not plan to support PrismGT, what
> do you think is easier ...

What do you include in "all the features of 802.1X"? Just the IEEE
802.1X authenticator (including dynamic WEP keying) and PAE
(unauthorized packet filtering in the driver)?

I think it would be reasonable to add support for alternative IEEE
802.11 management in hostapd, i.e., to let the driver/firmware take care
of that and just send event (e.g., Linux wireless event) when a new
station has associated with the AP. This should make it possible to use
hostapd with couple of other drivers and there has even been a patch to
do this. Merging this change is somewhere in my to do list..

In addition, PrismGT driver would probably need some small changes like
configuration of individual WEP keys and possibly something for the IEEE
802.1X PAE to support IEEE 802.1X with dynamic WEP keys.