Linksys Firmware problem.

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Tue Aug 5 17:25:41 EDT 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Andrea G. Forte wrote:

> I have finally installed the hostAP on a laptop with a Linksys WPC11
> pcmcia card. Everything seemed to work but after rebooting I got a
> message saying that "the secondary card with firmware 1.4.2 does not
> seem to work in host AP mode"..or something similar. I then went on the
> Linksys site but there is not firmware available for the card. What does
> all of this mean? Any suggestions?

Firmware 1.4.2 has a bug fatal for the Host AP mode.  Linksys doesn't
care about this bug because they sell their cards to be used as stations,
not as access points.

Linksys cards use Prism 2.5 chipset.  The best firmware for this chipset
is 1.7.4.  Primary firmware should also be updated, to version 1.1.1.

You can extract both from
http://www.red-bean.com/~proski/firmware/1.7.4.tar.gz and flash them:

prism2_srec -f wlan0 pk010101.hex sf010704.hex

You need the CVS version of HostAP to do it.  Alternatively, you can use
some other software to upgrade the firmware, for example winupdate.

You can read list archives and this HOWTO:
http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/index.html

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin