Primary Firmware Download

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Tue Aug 5 15:41:42 EDT 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Bob Beers wrote:

> Ok, seems to work, what is "Plug record length mismatch"? Should I
> worry?  Card is working fine after the upgrade. Here's the screen
> capture:

The length of the data to be substituted in the firmware is not equal to
the length of the corresponding item in the PDA.  The Intersil
documentation says it's not OK, but it looks like they allow some
sloppiness in their own designs.

> srec summary for PK010101.HEX
> Component: 0x0015 1.1.1 (primary firmware)
[snip]
> Verifying update compatibility and combining data:
> Plug record length mismatch (PDR=0x0001): 12 != 16
> ==> extend from default

PDR 1 is present only in the primary firmware:
S311FF00000001000000CC147E001000000080

                            ^^
This means that the length of the data is 16 bytes.  Your PDA provides
only 12 bytes.  I've seen it myself and I haven't had any problems with
such cards.

Since PDR 1 is merely the manufacturing part number, it shouldn't be a big
deal.

If you find address 0x7E14CC in the primary firmware, you'll see that all
16 bytes starting at that address are binary zeroes.  The first 12 bytes
are filled with the data from the PDA.  The rest are zeroes.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin