problems with 0.0.4 and gcc-3.2/3.3

Francois Gurin matrix at spic.net
Mon Aug 4 14:00:35 EDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 10:48:21AM -0700, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> > I've been working on 0.0.4 for a few days now and have encountered
> > problems compiling hostap with gcc 3.2 and 3.3.  When i use 2.95
> > everything works as expected.
> > I had thought 3.2 was working fine until fairly recently.
>
> Did you compile your kernel with the exact same gcc version? I have been
> using gcc v3.2.3 without any problems.

I think this may be the crux of the issue.  I don't recall what i compiled
the kernel with, but it may have been 2.95.  I'm working on rebuilding the
kernel to see what happens.  If this is the case, I'll have some egg on my
face, but at least it will be in the archives for anyone else having similar
issues.

> Please always try to resolve addresses in kernel oops messages with
> ksymoops. See Linux kernel Documentation/oops-tracing.txt for more
> details. Without this, the oops messages are usually quite useless.

I was trying to be complete, but this slipped my mind.  Others have
responded having similar setups working, and I spent the weekend eliminating
hardware faults as a possibility.

If it persists, I'll be sure to include more details.

Thanks to the list for all the input I've recieved.

--francois