Orinoco cards not 'seeing' hostap

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Apr 30 22:59:42 EDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 08:45:57AM -0500, Jerry wrote:

> I have a hostap box (SuSE 8.0, Hostap CVS 4/30/03, WPC11 pccard, kernel pcmcia, RAM Firmware 1.5.6, hostapd).

Which version of WPC11?

> The problem im seeing is that Orinoco cards wont "see" the AP to associate to it...

> is there an issue with hostapd sending beacons or something?

I would guess that these could be due to timeout of authentication or
association frames. hostapd does not send beacons; this is left for
firmware (just like ProbeReq handling). However, using hostapd (instead
of kernel driver with 802.11 mgmt code) will increase latency of
authentication and association frames a bit.

Wi-Fi test plan sets the limit for authentication and association to 100
ms. I would be surprised if hostapd would add that much latency.
However, Orinoco card might be configured to use much shorter timeout..

Have you looked into hostapd debug log (set debug=2 and
logger_stdout_level=0 in hostapd.conf)? It should show incoming
authentication frame and after this, whether STA ACKed authentication
frame that hostapd sent. At least the STAs that I have tested, seem to
not ACK authentication frame if they assume that authentication timed
out.