wireless bridging over WDS not working

Santiago Garcia Mantinan hostap at manty.net
Sun Apr 27 18:22:54 EDT 2003

Hi!

There seems to be some kind of problem when one sets up a wds link between
two APs (A and B), as the packages going from a client of AP A to AP B are
drop at AP A with a message like this:

handle_ap_item - addr3(BSSID)=00:50:c2:10:92:6a not own MAC

where that MAC is the MAC of the client of AP A

I'm using pings to do the tests and AP A and AP B can ping each other, and
the client can ping the AP it is connected to, however packages from this
client to the other AP (B) seem to be dropped, all but the ARP wich seems to
go through without any problem.

The net is bridged and if you see the bridge config of AP A it looks like
this:

# brctl show
br0             8000.0090d1014bf1       yes             wlan0
                                                        wlan0wds0
                                                        wlan0wds1
                                                        eth0
# brctl showmacs br0
port no mac addr                is local?       ageing timer
  2     00:50:c2:10:90:b3       no                 0.50
  1     00:50:c2:10:92:6a       no                56.16
  3     00:90:d1:01:4b:f1       yes                0.00
  2     00:90:d1:01:4b:f1       yes                0.00
  1     00:90:d1:01:4b:f1       yes                0.00
  4     00:90:d1:01:4b:f1       yes                0.00

You can see the MAC 00:50:c2:10:90:b3 wich is the one of the AP B on port 2,
which is wlan0wds0 and the MAC of the client on port 1, wlan0.

I don't know why does this packages get dropped, all I know is that ARP is
passing through and back, and then the icmp packages are drop.

AP A has firmware 1.3.4 and is thus using WDS type 2, while AP B has a RAM
upgraded firmware 1.5.6 and is using WDS type 4, does this cause my problem?

I'm using version 0.0.1 on both APs.

The weird thing on this is that if I try to ping AP B from a machine
connected to the ethernet port of AP A  it works perfectly, so it seems to
be that the packets are being dropped in the input of AP A, wich really
sounds weird.

Any Ideas on what could be wrong, what am I not doing correctly or what I
could try?

I'd like to upgrade both cards on the APs to 1.5.6 using a non-volatile
firmware, but they are NIC 0x8002 and 0x8003, does anybody know where could
I find this?

Regards...
--
Manty/BestiaTester -> http://manty.net