WEP encryption

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Thu Apr 24 22:32:36 EDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 02:23:47AM +0200, m_pawlowski at t-online.de wrote:

> i seem to have a problem analysing if  my hostap does run with
> wep-encryption enabled or not. well, i put the wep-stuff into
> hostapd.conf and also configured wep by using hostap_crypt_conf, but an
> xp-machine (i didn't check out any other machine so far) equipped with a
> prism2-card (onboard)  presents me with the following:

Current hostapd version is not really prepared for static WEP key
configuration. In theory, you might be able to setup WEP keys with
iwconfig/hostap_crypt_conf and have it mostly working. However, there
are some known issues with this.

> by using the manufacturer provided tool with 128bits of enc i see a
> whole lot of hostap debug output stuff like
>
> authentication: STA=(mac addr) auth_alg=1 auth_transaction=1 status_code=0
> Unknown authentication algorithm (1)
> Received 30 bytes management frame
> MGMT (TX callback) ACK
> mgmt::auth cb
>
> although ap_auth_algs is set to 3 with prism2_param.

ap_auth_algs is only used with kernel driver -based management
functionality, i.e., not with hostapd. In addition, hostapd does not
support shared key authentication (auth_alg=1). There was a bug in
reporting unsupported authentication algorithm, which I just fixed in
CVS. I'm not sure whether this helps with your case, but it might, so
feel free to test current CVS snapshot. If the station implementation
you are using is willing to try open system authentication with the
fixed hostapd, it should be able to authenticate with the AP.