AP client mode

JuanJo Ciarlante jjo-hostap at mendoza.gov.ar
Tue Apr 15 09:50:51 EDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 09:06:15PM -0700, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 10:37:47AM -0300, JuanJo Ciarlante wrote:
>
> >  hostapd.conf has correct  assoc_ap_addr=<uplink_AP_MAC>
>
> >         wds_type: WDS type bitfield
> > 	          :
> > 	          2 = use AP client mode in 'Managed mode'
> > 	"
> > ... SEEMS that wlan card should in "managed" mode.
>
> Yes, indeed. These are two completely separate features. assoc_ap_addr
> with hostapd is a very experimental code for associating to another AP
> while operating as a station. wds_type 2 is a "AP client mode" in which
> the Host AP driver operates in Managed mode, associates to another AP,
> and is using WDS frames to allow bridging. However, "AP client" is _not_
> operating as an AP at the same time. This mode does not use hostapd.

Thanks for the clear explanation !
After workaround'ing with promisc. mode y got assoc_ap_addr working Ok
(albeit transferring as about 1/2 speed as STA ... maybe my P166 can't
handle promisc mode 'streaming').

Regards
--
--Juanjo

#  Juan Jose Ciarlante (JuanJo PGP) jjo ;at; mendoza.gov.ar              #
#  Key fingerprint = 76 60 A5 76 FD D2 53 E3  50 C7 90 20 22 8C F1 2D    #