Fw: Host AP setting for Linksys WPC11

Jerry mrcool at stupidgamerz.com
Mon Apr 14 09:28:55 EDT 2003

Well... first and foremost, you need to compile the driver with firmware download support... now, from what i have read in the posts, you simply uncomment the line:
/*# define PRISM2_DOWNLOAD_SUPPORT */
in otherwords take that pound (#) sign out (im not a programmer, somebody correctme if im wrong).  Well, to simply take that # out didnt do it for me, prism2_srec still gave me the error that i needed to do that... so this i know works...

first do a 'make clean'   <-important...
then:
make pccard -EXTRA_CFLAGS="-DPRISM2_DOWNLOAD_SUPPORT"
(thanks Jason...  http://talk.trekweb.com/~jasonb/articles/hostap_20021012.shtml
very good articles, LOTS of help to me, recommended reading)

then, of course, 'make install_pccard'

reboot the computer...

make sure that hostap loaded properly... then compile the the utilities... (prism2_srec, etc).  from the ./hostap/utils/ folder, issue another 'make' command to create them.  Now the next step is just what I do, im not a linux expert, and i hope someone corrects my wrong doings if so, but, I :
cp prism2* /usr/local/bin
cp host* /usr/local/bin
cp split* /usr/local/bin
cp util* /usr/local/bin
then to clean up some...
rm /usr/local/bin/*.c
rm /usr/local/bin/*.h
With the utils 'installed' to /usr/local/bin i can just issue a command such as:
prism2_srec wlan0 -r /path-to/r1010506.hex
from wherever in the path i may be.  (works for me :)
Get this file :  http://hiping.terraworld.net/downloads/r1010506.hex
That is the RAM image for the WPC11, i copy it to the /usr/local/bin directory as well, then issue the commands
prism2_srec wlan0 -r /usr/local/bin/r1010506.hex
prism2_param wlan0 host_encrypt 0
At this point the new firmware should be usuable.  I create a shell script to start all my networking, and bridging and stuff, which I put in /usr/local/bin as well.  I then 'ln -s /usr/local/bin/AP.sh /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S20APinit'
which creates a startup link in runlevel 3. (if someone has a better way, PLEASE let me know).

Good luck...
Jerry