Discontinuation of Linux 2.2.x and old wireless extensions support

gARetH baBB hick.hostap at gink.org
Sat Apr 12 03:50:38 EDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Jouni Malinen wrote:

> I'm considering of dropping support for Linux 2.2.x and old wireless
> extensions support from the future releases of Host AP driver. My

Per features 2.4 (and beyond) is certainly more bloated than 2.2, which
isn't good for the type of machines/devices (ie. small to very small)
hostap is being run on.

I certainly run hostap under 2.2 on the laptops I have it on, mainly
because 2.4 is completely unable to get along with those machines ...

Alan Cox at least sees merit in continuing development of the 2.2 kernel
itself, which is good considering how much a pigs ear large parts of 2.4
have turned out to be.

It I was going for a small inaccessable device up a pole running hostap I
wouldn't put 2.4 on it.