firmware upgrade and hostapd running

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Fri Apr 11 22:02:40 EDT 2003

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 02:33:50PM -0500, Yu, Heeyeol wrote:

> Could not read wlan PDA. This requires PRISM2_DOWNLOAD_SUPPORT
> definition in
> driver/module/hostap_config.h.
> ----------------------
> I compiled hostap kit with this option, "PRISM2_DOWNLOAD_SUPPORT", like
> this, make pccard EXTRA_CFLAGS="-DPRISM2_DOWNLOAD_SUPPORT
> -DPRISM2_HOSTAPD".
> Also I realized that this problem is related with zero content in
> /proc/net/hostap/wlan0/pda.

Are you sure you compiled the complete module with that option? If you
had compiled first without that option for make, you will need to run
'make clean' first.

Zero length in pda file means that either the driver was not compiled
with download support or the driver was unable to find PDA from the card
memory. 'dmesg' output should tell you which one was the case. If
download support was configured, the driver sends entries to kernel log
about attempts to read PDA.

> BTW what's the purpose of hostapd? Is it only for Authentication? Then
> if I don't need authentication, I don't have to run this.

hostapd is an alternative mechanism for IEEE 802.11 authentication and
association. In addition, it adds support for IEEE 802.1X and dynamic
WEP keying, etc. So, if you do not need these additional features, you
do not need to run hostapd.

> [root at yuatlinux hostap-2002-10-12]# hostapd/hostapd wlan0
> ioctl(SIOCGIFINDEX): No such device
> ioctl[SIOCGIFFLAGS]: No such device

Do you have 'wlan0ap' interface? It should be present in 'ifconfig -a'
list if you have compiled driver with PRISM2_HOSTAPD defined.