WDS speed issues revisited

Dave dave at cc0.net
Wed Apr 9 04:54:33 EDT 2003

Jouni,

'iwconfig wlan0 rate 11M fixed'

does not fix the TX rate. In fact once I issue that command for one side of
a WDS link which is currently at 11Mbps, the rate drops to 2Mbps.

I think I understand Jean's comment that the RX is controlled by the
opposite ends TX...but if the opposite ends TX is fixed to 11M then in
theory wouldn't this ends RX receive at 11M....minus the overhead, retrys,
errors, birds, planes..

I am at least confident that the displayed speed via iwconfig wlan0 on each
side of the link in WDS/Repeater mode is accurate as I perform data
transfers each way and it is right at the displayed speed.

I also am pretty comfortable that the initial WDS issue was related to my FW
mishap...I now have radios seperated by 2.5 miles and initially get an
11Mbps link...which quickly turns into a 1Mbps link as soon as data starts
moving...but that is probably related to fade margin or something because I
do not have perfect LOS...but still it would be great to have it fixed at
11Mbps and deal with fade and errors and loss as a seperate issue.

Again thanks for all your help!

-Dave