[HostAP] Re: link becomes very poor in hostapd mode

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sat Oct 12 04:13:48 EDT 2002

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 10:15:37AM +0530, Jharana Mehta wrote:

> I am using Linksys WPC11 cards for my hostap setup. The driver works
> really well in pure kernel mode, and even bridging and all works fine.
> but when i compile and start the driver in hostapd mode, i.e by doing
> make pccard EXTRACFLAGS etc. and compiling and starting the hostapd
> without 802.1x authentication, the link quality becomes really poor and
> ping requests return after as long as 7 secs!

That's odd.. There shouldn't be any differences in kernel and hostapd
management that would have this kind of effect on TX/RX or link
quality.. Do you get any error messages in kernel log ('dmesg')? Have
you tested this with only one station card or more than one? You could
check whether 'utils/hostap_diag -a wlan0' output or
/proc/net/hostap/wlan0/<STA hwaddr> have significant differences when
comparing driver and hostapd management code.

> Also, when i compiled the driver for PCI adapter, i.e hostap_plx, the
> link remains up for only a very short time, after which the iwconfig
> shows transmit power to be 0 db.

Which PLX adapter (which PCI id)? Which PC Card in the PLX adapter? Any
error messages in 'dmesg' output? You could also check
'utils/hostap_diag -a wlan0' output just after loading the driver (i.e.,
when the link is up) and after the problems start.