AP mode with secondary firmware

Seungpyo Hong shong at clipcomm.co.kr
Wed Nov 20 21:21:42 EST 2002

Hi guys,

While struggling to make an AP with prism secondary firmware,
I found two conflicting statements.

1) You can make it !
    -  from  linux-wlan-ng FAQ
> Q: Can I use my 802.11b card as an AP under Linux?
>     Yes, and in the true free software fashion, there are several ways:
>     a) linux-wlan-ng supports AP operation by using special tertiary
>        firmware on prism devices.  This firmware is not generally
>        available, however.   Contact Intersil for licensing terms.
>     b) The Prism2 HostAP driver uses the special HostAP mode of the
>         prism chipsets.            http://people.ssh.com/jkm/Prism2/
>     c) The OpenAP project, which involves flashing Linux on access
>         points.                    http://opensource.instant802.com/

  Accroding to the FAQ, Building an AP with secondary firmware is possible.

2) You cannot make it - tertiary firmware is required.
    - from linux-wlan-ng mailing list archive
    http://lists.linux-wlan.com/pipermail/linux-wlan-user/2002-July/006680.html

Can anybody tell me which is true?

If both of above statements are true,
 wlan-ng requires the tertiary firmware for AP mode,
 and hostAP requires the secondary firmware for AP mode.
 is it right?

Thanks in advance,
S .Hong