STA shared-key authentication support

Amit Gurdasani gurdasani at flashmail.com
Sun Nov 17 07:41:24 EST 2002

:I couldn't say if that's the reason Jouni didn't implement it, but shared
:key authentication is a known security issue, since it allows attackers to
:easily find the secret key. It is consider safer to use WEP without shared
:key auth rather than with it. Hence the reason 802.11 TGi dropped 802.11
:authentication completely (open auth is a null operation and shared key
:auth is a security hole), in favour of 802.1X authentication and other fun
:things.

As far as I can tell, the security issue stems primarily from having large
numbers of IVs and encrypted versions (from frequent associations) available
to an intruder, so that it's possible to (a) associate with the AP and then
(b) brute-force the encrypted IV to figure out the key. But it seems to me
that this wouldn't be as much of a problem on a network where stations are
expected to stay associated with the AP (as is my case) and dessociation and
(successful) reassociation is relatively uncommon.

Actually, now that I think about it, you might be right -- is there any
advantage to using a shared key authentication system if the AP is
configured to drop unencrypted frames?

Here's a message by Jouni around April that goes over this, for background: