Help with redhat 8.0 kernel and hostap_pci?

Golden G. Richard III, Ph.D. golden at cs.uno.edu
Thu Nov 14 15:55:46 EST 2002

I recently installed RH8.0 with the 2.4.18-14 kernel.   The latest
hostap release (hostap-2002-10-12.tar.gz) seemed to work fine.  Redhat
has released an updated kernel (2.4.18-17.8.0 is their name) which
breaks horribly with the hostap-2002-10-12 release, as least out of the
box.   When I compile, install, and modprobe, I get a segmentation fault
and things go downhill from there.

Has anyone attempted to get the hostap stuff working with this kernel
version?  I'm not deliberately trying to be a pain--we are trying to use
Redhat's automatic updates to stay current with security fixes, etc. on
a group of laptops that won't otherwise be closely supervised by someone
"in the know".

Thx for any pointers.

Cheers,

--G

--
Golden G. Richard III, Ph.D.        Dept. of Computer Science
Associate Professor, Jazz Consumer  University of New Orleans