Tertiary firmware and correct RIDs

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Wed Nov 13 16:37:56 EST 2002

Hello!

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Stuffed Crust wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 02:53:06PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > I'm sure there are other little details that need to be fixed.  I hope
> > to fix them soon, because I want to make a firmware based OpenAP, and
> > linux-wlan-ng is a bit too heavy for embedded systems.
>
> *raises eyebrow* How so?

Sorry, I didn't know you are reading this list :-)

I mean, wlanctl-ng is 74k when linked dynamically against uClibc.
iwconfig and iwpriv together are 44k.  Not really much, but in my
configuration, every kilobyte counts.  Besides, I think it will be easier
to compile HostAP into the kernel, thus eliminating insmod from busybox.

I simply prefer to have choice as long as I can.  linux-wlan-ng works with
firmware AP, HostAP doesn't.  If I fix HostAP today, I'll have a choice
tomorrow.  It can be handy if I try to squeeze e.g. sshd into the last
kilobytes of the flash.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin