Linksys WMP11 & HostAP strangeness

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Tue Nov 12 11:49:39 EST 2002

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 03:48:02PM -0000, Carlos Tamulonis wrote:

> I also have a W2k laptop w/ a USR 2210 PC card (22 MBs TI chipset).  With
> hostap in master mode, the laptop is able to detect the WMP11 as an access
> point, but is not able communicate with it properly, i.e. the USR utility
> reports the link as disconnected, pings & stuff don't work.  Switching to
> ad-hoc mode both cards communicate fine.  I believe the WMP11 should work
> properly w/ hostap w/ firmware 1.4.9, so is the problem with my USR2210? Or
> should I upgrade my WMP again to the 1.5.X firmware?

Yes, STA f/w 1.4.9 should work fine with Host AP driver. I have never
tested USR 2210, but I would assume that it is compatible with 802.11b
access points. Do you get any error messages in the kernel log of the
Host AP machine (i.e., output of 'dmesg')? Do you get messages about
authentication or association? The best way for solving what is
happening, would be to get a 3rd host sniffing the association attempt
and then going through the frames, but this would need some extra
hardware.