HostAP IEEE 802.1x modifications

Oleg Izhvanov oleg.izhvanov at resonext.com
Mon Dec 9 09:36:47 EST 2002

Jouni Malinen wrote:

>I removed MSB setting of key index from hostapd_rotate_wep() since it
>looked like a workaround for WinXP Supplicant and I would guess it
>should be in more generic place. Similar behavior is now available with
>separate command line option '-w'. Do you have any extra information
>about the WinXP Supplicant operations? At least, setting this bit did
>not fix my WinXP Supplicant.

Setting this bit was the workaround for WLAN card, that is yet being
developed, not
for XP supplicant.  Setting this bit  is a directive for XP supplicant
to set the default key
(not the unicast one, but one with indexes from 1 to 4) active.

There is a way to enable debugging messages in WinXP for EAPOL
related stuff. Just look into following entry in your registry :

\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Microsoft\Tracing\EAPOL

All parameters there are self-explanatory, though I haven't managed to
get console
tracing work, though file tracing worked just fine.

The problem I discovered that XP supplicant doesn't like your replay
counter fields.
The gettimeofday() call, which was used as replay counter didn't work
correctly, because
those 8 bytes, generated by it was not constantly growing (struct
timeval consists of two
longs that leads to machine endian dependency for this field). At least
this problem
was fixed by the NTP patch.

>I haven't merged this in yet. I'm going to change the patch a bit and
>call it something else.. It should work also with Prism-based card when
>using Host AP driver without hostapd (i.e., kernel driver performing
>802.11 auth/assoc).

If you need help just let me know.

Best regards, Oleg