No more space in this STA's PS mo

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Sat Dec 7 12:45:40 EST 2002

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 10:35:46AM -0500, Doug Yeager wrote:

> i have a few AP's in downtown knoxville serving coffee houses. i review the
> dmesg logs frequently to see what is going on. every now and then i get
> this log messages. usually follows a resetting of the AP card.

That indicates that the number of buffered frames for power saving
station exceeded limit of 32 frames. Usually, this would mean that the
station has started to use power saving mode, but is not sending PS poll
frames to request the buffered frames.

If this happens just after resetting the AP card, it might be possible
that the buffer was already full before reset and after reset a TIM bit
in beacon is not set. This bit is used by the station as an indication
of buffered frames. Current driver code does not setup TIM bits after
reset and this might end up in state where no frame in AP->STA direction
is able to trigger PS polling. I will fix the reset code to setup TIM
configuration, so that this kind of situation could be avoided. I'm not
sure whether this will fix your case, but it might.