WEP help

Doug Yeager doug at aircomwireless.net
Thu Dec 5 11:19:57 EST 2002

I'm looking for some kind of help guild to explain to me the basic
concepts of WEP.

Right now I have a few wireless nodes serving various coffee shops.  I
have not experimented with WEP.

What I think it does is this:  allow any client to select to use WEP and
pick their own key.
Then they can talk w/ the AP using that encryption key that they picked.

But those who just want to talk w/ the AP w/o WEP can do so also.

I may be wrong on how WEP is used but that is what I thought it should
do.

I've experimented w/ setting my AP in open mode w/ some random key using
iwconfig util.

Iwconfig wlan0 s:aircom open

This doesn't seem to do what I want.  Actually it cuts off communication
to my clients.

If someone could clear up how wep is used, it may help a bit along with
what commands to enable it how it want to use it would be helpful.
Or if a document tells me somewhere, that reference would be great.

Thx much,
doug